Monday, April 20, 2009

Well, it started out well......

...but what do you when your only 1st grader is bawling her eyes out because her head hurts so bad? Answer: Thank God that it is almost the end of the day and Pray that her mom shows up early to pick her up. Thankfully, her dad DID show up 10 minutes early! Thank You God!!!

This has to be one of the biggest reasons I never want to be the only teacher in a little, one teacher, school like this. There is very little recourse for a teacher when a difficult emergency situation like this happens. What would have happened had this been a real emergency? I'm just not as at ease or ultimately comfortable when I'm the only one to deal with the situation. The good thing about a larger school is that there are always others around to help if a situation gets to problematic.

Yowzers! I'm so so so glad that this day is over! I'm praying that the girl is alright. She had complained earlier in the day of a headache, but it always seemed to go away quickly as soon as she got a little attention from the teacher. It seemed a bit more of an issue in the afternoon, but her complaining again ceased when she had people paying her attention or I was helping her with her math. The real issue started during PE, which is the last class of the day. She complained of her head hurting again and I let her sit on the step in front of the classroom where she could be in the shade. This helped for a bit, but she then started feeling worse. I blocked the door open so I could see into the field where the rest of the kids were playing soccer and got the girl to lay down with her head proped on a coat. This didn't seem to help much as she continued to cry. The crying began to get worse so I assured her that her mom was on the way and would be there soon to take her home. This barely registered with her and she kept asking for her mom or dad. I got a cool damp cloth and put it on her forehead, and while this seemed to help a bit, I could definitally tell that she was in pain. This was far beyond a ploy for attention. Fortunately, shortly after this, maybe a few minutes, her dad arrived and I took her out to him. She was still teary, but most of the crying stopped at this point.

This was very difficult for me to deal with. Other than calling her parents, which I would have done immediatly had I not known they were already on their way, I'm not sure what I would have done. Thankfully its done and she is with her parents!

Anyway, other than that, things went fairly well today. The internet went down this morning. I guess that is news too! I managed to get my computer as well as two student computers back online, but I have no idea what to do to fix the others. We may have to share two student computers for the rest of the week. I really don't know what to do to fix them. At least the two work, we should be able to get by with them.

The day was pretty decent otherwise. Here's hoping that today was the worst! Well, I'm gonna do some grading and then go home again. I'm gonna try to take another nap so I can finally kick this cold hopefully. Till next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment